Thursday, February 14, 2013

Class blog: Truth in Arguments


I would like to make the presumptuous accusation that everyone always has some sort of altercation with their roommate. However, not many people room with a friend that they have known for seven years. My roommate being male and gay and someone who I have danced with for five years, has the personality of a “Bro” and the attitude of a model. As honesty is the best policy he also thinks that goes hand in hand with insults and negativity. Freedom of speech can go a long way but arrogance is a short stop from the take off. Once becoming a Nole and beginning my new college life at Florida State University, the relationship that him and I had shared for so many years had made a complete 180 degrees. Beginning with his insatiable outlook on life and the people he meets, it only makes things clearer for me knowing I was his only friend he had left. Level five of Kaufer’s levels have more commonalities with our argument than the relationship my roommate and I had. Insulting my life choices, my sorority sisters and my family, I had to draw the line. A friend would never say those things and would never mean them. A person who lives so comfortably with lies and deceit is not someone I want to have infecting my life. Rating the altercation between my roommate and I, I rate it a four. From yelling, to unnecessary use of words and false accusations, the only reason I refrained from rating this argument a five is because there was no physical dispute. I held onto my morals and values to a certain degree when arguing with my roommate but sometimes, one cannot simply “stoop down” to their level and get even. After receiving rude text messages I decided to give myself what I have always wanted, him out of my life. A polite text finalizing our friendship as no more and being civil roommates, has so far worked in my favor. I did exactly what Kaufer had said one would do when they could temporarily result the conflict. I referred to level four because once him and I had clarified how we felt towards each other, then as Kaufer described it, “…we might be able to resolve the conflict by convincing ourselves that one set of local values is more consistent with certain global values…” (Kaufer59)

The New Yorker (online) posted an article by George Packer titled, “Long Engagements,” in which he discusses Hillary Clinton’s leave from the White House after a very tiring and hectic four years. Her relationship with President Obama was affectionately showed when they were being interviewed on “60 Minutes.” After Clinton’s hard work that has been more than obvious to our countries government she was known as “The Principal Implementer” of Obama’s foreign policy. Saying this, logic has a huge role in today’s governmental decisions and it is crucial that one must know how to implement it correctly. Aristotle described logic as an artistically valuable criterion of rhetoric. Jones claims that in the history of rhetorical argumentation there is a distinction to be made between being logical and being truthful (163). Since this article shows more of deductive reasoning, showing its readers great use of cause and effect, Aristotle states that you can be logical without being truthful. Our government is known to not tell its people the whole truth and possibly even lies but that doesn’t mean they were necessarily wrong. In Packer’s article he wrote, “Obama and Clinton inherited two unwinnable wars, a toxic international atmosphere in which America was reviled where it wasn’t ignored, and a badly diminished stock of national power.” In this case, Obama had to do what any other newly appointed president would do, take action. There is a time for war and there is a time to be truthful just like there is a time to be logical. We saw the cause of what war was doing for nation’s troops and families and it is time for effect and change to take place.

Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama did not always have a professional, affectionate relationship. George Packer describes the interview they were both having on the show “60 Minutes,” “they all but held hands, swearing deathless affection and respect, and they seemed to mean it.” Having good relations with your business partners can only put a more honest and healthy workable environment for the both of you and everyone else. Because of their honesty and respect for each other, Clinton and Obama do not have any blurred altercations or formulating arguments. “Even though our current media and political climate do not call for good argumentation, the guidelines for finding and creating it abound.” (Jones177)

Work Cited:

Kaufer, David S. “A Plan for Teaching the Development of Original Policy Arguments.” College Composition and Communication 35.1 (Feb 1984): 57-70.

Jones, Rebecca. “Finding the Good Argument, or Why Bother with Logic?” Writing Spaces: Readings on Writing, Volume 1. Ed. Charles Lowe and Pavel Zemliansky. West Lafayette, IN: Parlor P, 2010. Available online via WAC Clearinghouse at http://wac.colostate.edu/books/writingspaces1/ .


No comments:

Post a Comment