Thursday, April 25, 2013

Analytical Reflection


Throughout this spring semester, I was introduced to countless gruesome yet exciting projects in Advanced Editing an Writing of which I have learned to withhold an argument and connection with my audience to creating claims and working on editing tasks. However, our Wikipedia project was by far the hardest struggle I had to endure throughout this course but also, it was insightful and prepared me for the type of job I hope to get out of college.

During this course I was taught to draw from each critical texts we had to read that week and argue and connect (sometimes contrast) what their concepts are with how you feel towards a certain topic that was discussed. Our Wikipedia article that spoke on the subject of “Multimodality” had countless theorists and authors referenced but the most important aspect of all was that we had no original claims, and everything that was written was written from our own writing with help to support our argument using other texts.

According to Ridolfo and DeVoss in order to create rhetorical velocity, one would have to “mix, mash and merge.” With Wikipedia, rhetorical velocity is a common factor to be used and executed, especially with this type of online encyclopedia. It creates a much simpler way of knowing how to create and identify a digital composition to your audience. Creating a digital composition such as this Wikipedia entry, I struggled with the claims of each subsection of our article to include in the Lead. The reoccurring question was “What is important in this section that the reader must know in the Lead?” However, with applying rhetorical velocity my group and I found it much easier to make each and every claim flow and come together.

On another note, Lazere taught me that oversimplification isn’t something as valuable as rhetoric. Within Wikipedia and following its rules of “not too wordy” with “no original claims,” etc., rhetoric gives the best dialectical discourse and connection between audience and speaker. Even though Wikipedia isn’t an “essay based” website nor is it a collegiate level website but, it is one that most young teens/adults use. Without my knowledge of rhetoric, I would have found it extremely difficult to deliver my argument and connect with my audience.

Hood really prepared me to lookout for bias information and original research. She mentions in her article, "to focus, then, on the accuracy or inaccuracy of facts, the biased presentation of information, or even the appearance of an obscene fragment of text in a Wikipedia entry..." Because writing is such a process, it becomes a recursive task in which makes us constantly change our opinions in what we want to argue or even simply to get our point across. This Wikipedia project really put a lot in perspective for me along the lines of possible job careers and with my own writing itself.




Work Cited:

Lazere, Donald. “Avoiding Oversimplification and Recognizing Complexity.” In Reading and Writing for Civic Literacy: The Critical Citizen’s Guide to Argumentative Rhetoric. Boulder, CO: Paradigm Publishers, 2005. 244-256.

Ridolfo, Jim, and Dànielle Nicole DeVoss. “Composing for Recomposition: Rhetorical Velocity and Delivery.” Kairos 13.2 (2008).http://kairos.technorhetoric.net/13.2/topoi/ridolfo_devoss/intro.html

Hood, Cara Leah. “Editing Out Obscenity: Wikipedia and Writing Pedagogy.” 2008. Available online at http://www.bgsu.edu/departments/english/cconline/wiki_hood/index.html



No comments:

Post a Comment